I hope that you ended the previous year surrounded by loved ones and started the new with a smile on your face as I did. Also I am grateful to be alive and well surrounded.
I am picking up where I left of on this beginning of 2017. It isn’t a new me that is writing this piece just the same woman striving to become a better version of herself every day. So instead of resolutions, I choose to make promises to myself. I briefly mentioned them in my last post. Here’s my list:
- Continue to show more empathy, compassion and be a true active listener. I mean by being a true active listener: paying more attention to non verbal language, to read between the lines; and to know when to give my peace or not. I need to know when to just show up to provide a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear, a silly partner and so on.
- Pay the attention to the vibe. In conjunction with the first one, to know when to quietly retreat and focus on different things, people. It helps in dealing with change and in adapting to different situations.
- Discreetly and steadily work on my career plans and projects. I started listing my ideas but I need to make a detailed triennial plan for example.
- Put more efforts on my own grind: Many people told me that all the efforts that I put in supporting and pushing others, I should start putting on myself. Perhaps, there is something comforting behind the scenes but growth does not come out of comfort. So I shall be bolder in 2017. It’s about timing as well.
- Nurture my mind, body and soul: I have many great books pilling up on my desk and on my night table. Read more! Dance classes and solo runs are calling my name, as well as yoga and meditation sessions. My journals are either empty or filled with unfinished writings. My paint brushes and palettes are staring at me while I’m writing this post. Writing and painting were always my escapes of choice.
- Staying true to myself: No need to downsize my positivity, to shrink my caring bones to satisfy with others inability to leave bitterness, pettiness and sourness behind. I promise myself that I shall not respond to negativity by lowering my standards. Michelle Obama brilliantly said «When they go low, we go high». I shall stay high by knowing when to take a deep breath (or knock into a punching bag loool) and ignore or to take a step back and show even more kindness and compassion.
- Be more tactful: I’m slowly and surely getting there. Many of you might not agree with me but I do feel that there’s a time to speak and another to let things go. Again, a question of timing.
- Stopped being influenced by others actions: yes, we live in society; yes we are not alone on Earth. I just feel that I need in conjunction with #6 &7, to stop allowing actions make by others to drive me to do or say things that I’d never imagined doing or saying to other human beings.
- Dare to be and Iike Mlle Geri would say » dare to wear »: embrace my specificity, my uniqueness inside out more and let it show in my actions and in what I wear.
Bring my blog and personal branding to another level. In alignment with #4, 2017 I’m coming for you!
I hesitated between 10 promises and 12 (for each month) but I opted for 10. For starters, it is more realistic and manageable. In addition, I always do a midyear assessment of my goals and see what readjustments need to be made for my birthday and a final evaluation on the last month of the year.
So remember to follow your intuition, your dreams and to sprinkle love all around! Stay flawsome!
Marie-Christine Jeanty, January 2nd, 2017
A great inspirational blog to follow: Me Unfinished
Great New Years resolutions for Montrealers by Toula Drimonis